What is “SEO” ?Search engine optimization (SEO) is the practice of increasing the quantity and quality of traffic to your website through organic search engine results.Eight tips on SEO best practices for on page optimization.
1. Title Tags:
This is one of the most important on page SEO factor.The title tag tells search engines what the page is about and that the page on your website is relevant for that keyword or keyword phrase.Title tags should be unique for every page. In search results, search engines will highlight your keyword phrases if a user has searched for those terms. This increases visibility and click through rate.
- Your title tag should be written like this: Primary Keyword – Secondary Keyword | Brand Name
- Use a dash in between your keyword phrases and a pipe at the end before your brand name
- Avoid duplicate title tags
- Keep title tags at 55 characters or less in length, including spaces.
2. Meta Descriptions:
Meta descriptions should use keywords wisely, but more importantly they should include a compelling description on which a user would want to click on.
- Write compelling meta descriptions
- 150 to 160 characters is the recommended length
- Avoid duplicate meta descriptions
- Do not use quotes or any non-alpha characters
3. Content With Targeted Keyword Phrases:
If you have multiple pages with the same content , you will run the risk of getting penalized by Google and your search rankings will suffer.
- Create content that is extremely relevant for that keyword phrase
- Use your keyword phrase 4 times within your content (but don’t abuse it)
- Include links from other pages within your website that point back to this page (see internal linking)
- Create unique content for every medium (press releases, blogs, guest blog posts, etc…). If you send out a press release, do not copy and paste that press release onto your website. If it gets picked up in multiple publications, the search engines will see that you have duplicate content and penalize you for it.
4. Header Tags And Keyword Phrases:
A header tag, also known as an H1 tag, is much like the subject line of your web page.
- Use your keyword phrase once in your H1 tag
- Use H1 tags on pages you are trying to drive unique traffic to (SEO page)
- Use H2 tags if there are multiple sections
5. Internal Page Linking With Anchor Testing:
Internal linking refers to a link on a page that points to another page on the same website.
- When linking to another page on the same site from within content, select good anchor text (keywords) to use in the actual link and do this often.
- In the above example, you would link “web design services” to your web design services page instead of linking “click here.”
6. Image ALT Tags And Filenames:
An alt tag is essentially the name of an image. All mages should use appropriate alt tags.
- Name all of your images in a way that describes what they are
- Use dashes between the words, rather than underscores
- Do not use non-alpha characters in your image or file names (so no %, &, $, etc…)
7. Make Content Easy To Read:
- Paragraphs should be roughly three sentences long. Extremely long sentences will lose the users’ attention
- Use bullet points and bolding to break up large blocks of content. Users tend to scan content looking for keywords
- Do not overuse bullets and bolding
8. Meta Keywords:
Meta keywords used to be popular back in the day.
You May Also Like:
The Best SEO Tools
How To Write Perfect SEO-Optimized Articles in WordPress
Effective SEO Tips for Bloggers